2018 Psychopomp Magazine Short Fiction Award
*We are now closed to 2018 contest submissions*
The Psychopomp Magazine Short Fiction Award recognizes outstanding pieces of fiction that push the boundaries of genre and/or form. Surprise us! Show us something we’ve never seen before. Note: As with our regular submissions, we ARE open to realist fiction and work that may veer towards the hard genre but are most interested in stories that work between these realms and/or is innovative in the way a story is told.
First Place Award: $500 and issue publication
All finalists will be considered for publication on our site as “special contest features.”
Final Judge: Anne Valente
Anne Valente is the author of the recent novel, Our Hearts Will Burn Us Down, and the short story collection, By Light We Knew Our Names. Her second novel, Utah, is forthcoming in early 2019. Her short stories appear in One Story, The Southern Review, The Kenyon Review and The Chicago Tribune, and her essays appear in The Believer and The Washington Post. She lives in upstate New York where she teaches creative writing and literature at Hamilton College.
Please follow the guidelines closely.
1.Submit up to 6,000 words (double-spaced, 12-point font, pages numbered) of a short story or a self-contained excerpt of a novella or novel. The Psychopomp Magazine staff reserve the right to stop reading at any point after our specified limit. Work previously published is ineligible. Simultaneous submissions are accepted so long as you inform us immediately that your work has been accepted elsewhere.
2. Please do not send publication history or a cover letter. We just want to see your work. To that end, please remove the writer’s name from within the manuscript. If the byline is different from the name under which you submitted, you can inform us of your preferred publishing name later in the event that your story wins.
3. Submit anytime between October 15, 2017 and January 31st, 2018 via our submissions manager. The entry fee is $10, payable during the time of submission.
4. Results will be posted to the website by April. Finalists and winners will be notified by email.
5. For questions, email email@example.com with “Contest Question” in the subject heading.
6. Those closely affiliated (personally or professionally) with the editors and final judge are ineligible to submit.